Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hemihedral

¿Que es la significa de esa palabra en el "blog post" hoy? Vale...

Hemihedral- [ˌhɛmɪˈhiːdrəl]- adj- (Chemistry of a crystal) exhibiting only half the number of planes necessary for complete symmetry.

Still... that definition isn't good enough for it to make sense. Well, it's just that, I think, that's the right word to use when describing Granada, or Spain in general: it is hemihedral. I know I've described Spain as a place where you might say you've already seen the most beautiful but then, when you take a turn at a street somewhere, you find another place that makes you forget about the last. I've been to Ronda, Sevilla, Malaga, and other cities here in Andalusia, and I must say that the phrase "I think I am in love" is starting to become a cliche. Surely, I'd think the same of the other cities that I'll be visiting during the upcoming weekends. However, I am already thinking too far ahead, so, let me back up a little here...

First of all, before I start pouring a week's worth of memories here, I would like to apologize for the delay on posting a new entry. I've been extremely busy (or lazy) with the article readings for my Islamic Civilization class. I've also gotten a bit sick with sore throat and light coughing. The change in weather affected my health just a bit but I am all well now. My voice is still a little husky although I like it that way. Anyway, MOM, if you are reading this, please don't worry cause I am very well taken cared of here. My hostparents are very nice. They made soup for me and Dani the other day because we both had a sore throat. Most of the students in our program got sick as well so it's really just in the air... Virus and all... It's been raining here too. Yesterday, my shoes got soaked with the water and it felt like I was standing on a great puddle of water. The rain will continue for the entirety of this week but next week shall be better. I cannot wait to do "rebajas" shopping with my friend Emma and then take some professional photos while taking a paseo. Speaking of paseo, we had another one at Alhambra today for our Art and Architecture class. I was not too happy about having to walk up there again, specially that it was a little bit crowded today, but I guess the workout was worth it. Our class was bombarded with new information and I am just lovin' it!


Palace of Charles V
(pictured above)
The architect who designed this building was Pedro Machuca. According to history, Machuca became well renowned for building this palace because of the floor plan he designed. His floor plan solved the mystery of the "empty space" when the circle meets the square. In architecture, the circle in the middle of a square imposes a big a risk because the four points where they meet becomes empty. Machuca was the only architect clever enough to put staircases (second picture) so that there won't be any ugly voids.


This palace had many rooms although it was never really meant to be residential. This palace was built to serve as one of Granada's main attraction before the Renaissance period to become Spain's capital city. Madrid was not yet the capital before the Renaissance that's why most cities, if not all, made it a point to construct such palaces and buildings to make their city much more attractive than the others. In addition, Charles V never had an official home since he inherited so much territory from his father, Phillip the Handsome, and more from his mother, Joanna the Mad. When Phillip died, Charles became the ruler of Burgundy and his mother's co-ruler in Spain when his maternal grandfather, Ferdinand the Catholic, died. When his paternal grandfather passed away, he became the Holy Roman Emperor and the Archduke of Austria. From then on, his vast realm became know as "the empire on which the sun never sets." Charles V technically lived on tents all of his life while at war.

Phew! That was a lot of information! See what I mean now? I really like the way they teach here because it's more on the interactive side than hitting the books. We have countless field trips and I think that today won't be the last time I'd be making a trip to the Alhambra. Moreover, my other classes also have field trips. My Mediterranean Ecosystems class is going on a trip to the border of Malága and Granada next Friday. I really don't know what to expect but judging how enthusiastic my professor was yesterday while he was explaining the syllabus, I think I will have a lot of fun and there will be plenty more pictures to be taken!

---------------------------------------------------PAUSE-----------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm... Maybe a pause from history by talking about sports is in need at the moment... Yes? Okay! Well, last Friday, the 11th of February, my friend Mariah and I went to a soccer game here in Granada. The teams that played were Granada C.F and Albacete. These teams both play in the Segunda División here in Spain. The game was not a high-end kind of game but it was cool watching nonetheless. The manic fans cheering and screaming for their teams made the vibe livelier and fun. It was amusing to see the "ooohs" and "aaaahs" of the fans whenever Granada scored; they scored 2 goals with another one from a player of the opposite team (how unlucky for Albacete). The game ended with a 3-0 win for Granada. Also, the "Pope" also made a special appearance at the game (you'll know what I mean when you see the pictures).


Javier, our IES director, has 2 season tickets for the Granada games. We are so lucky to have called dibs on these tickets although Mariah and I never got our seats cause 2 big guys were already sitting there. Oh, well... It was still fun watching even when standing up for almost 2 hours. =P


Crazy fans kicking and screaming during the game.



Oh, yes... The good ol' theatrics....

Turns out he was fine and there was no need for a stretcher.


Told ya! The POPE made an appearance and he brought a megaphone with him! How cool is that?!

Mariah and I downed this much pizza EACH. Oh, yeah... We were two hungry ladies going to a soccer game. Haha!


---------------------------------------------------------PAUSE-------------------------------------------------------

This entry isn't done yet so I'll just add some more later after I am done with my readings.


Hasta pronto, chicos y chicas!






No comments:

Post a Comment