Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Poco a poco...

I thought that I should write a real update of how life has been here in Granada. So, here it goes...

While I really do not want to elaborate much on Granada's history, I still want anyone/everyone who is reading my blog to understand why it was such a blessing in disguise that I ended up going here instead of Barcelona. First of all, if I went to Barcelona before going here in Granada, I would have probably been shocked at the enormity of the size of the city. Granada is so much smaller than Barcelona. The streets are smaller and there are, of course, less people. I have not been to Barcelona yet but I am glad I came here first. I thought that I should get used to speaking Castellan Spanish before needing to adjust to the thick Catalunia accent in Barcelona. Also, here in Granada, everything is cheaper than in Barcelona. Just today, I think, I was able to buy a pair of funky pants and a scarf for cheap! Such a good buy! I shall post pictures later cause for now I want to tell a week's worth of adventure. ^__^

Let's begin with my "new home"...

I live in a humble apartment owned by the really nice couple, Ana and Antonio. Everyday Ana would prepare breakfast and lunch for me and my roommate Dani. Everything is served big. I don't think I've ever been so full in my life after eating what Ana prepared. It's not only that but Antonio always offers us to eat fruits after every meal. It's so overwhelming that sometimes I think I should tell them I am near exploding. Ana also does our laundry and cleans our room once a week. It's so great having someone do all of this for me but then again I like doing house chores on my own. I guess the Spanish culture is just full of cariƱo! And I am loving it more and more! So nice to be able to appreciate a culture so close to my own. I am Filipino and we were under Spanish rule for 300 years. Technically I am also Spanish but from the many generations that passed, I just call myself Filipino. My great grandfather is pure Spanish and my grandma's parents are Chinese-Spanish. I've got to say that the Spanish blood runs through my veins although you won't see any resemblance of a Spanish person in me because I look full-on Asian. Oh well... Anyway.. What can I say more about the family I live with? Well, they have grandchildren that are so cute! I'm just so unlucky cause I missed seeing them the other day when they came to visit. There will be a next time but I just cannot wait anymore. Virginia and Nuria are so cute! I just hope that my class schedule won't make me miss any chance of seeing them as soon as possible.

Regular classes will begin on the 7th of February and I am really psyched for the courses that I picked. I think I am taking 19 credit hours this semester but they won't be as hard. The classes I chose are all tolerable and enjoyable. Not only would I be learning the cultural differences here in Spain but I would also be able to visit places. Most of my classes have fieldtrips to places I probably have not seen during the 2-week orientation, which will end on Friday with a fieldtrip to Ronda and Seville. There's probably tons of walking involved again but I am not complaining. I am loving every step I make even though it means running out of breath.

Everything is literally breathtaking here in Granada. I sure have much more to see here and in other cities of Spain but like what my hostparents tell me, "poco a poco." I do not need to make any more bigger steps than what I've already taken on deciding to come all the way here to study. Little by little I will make my way and try new things. Like what my friends always tell me, I should live a little and not just study all day everyday. Living isn't about getting cooped up in your room with a book all the time. Living is balancing everything and having the best experiences. I am already in Spain and, most importantly, I am already in Europe so I might as well take advantage of the traveling possibilities here. My friends just booked their tickets to Barcelona... So I think I will be booking mine for Lisbon soon. I cannot wait!!!

I have my oral exam tomorrow so I will end my post here. I promise to write more next time! Until then, just bare with me and look at the pics and it should be sufficient enough or NOT. =)

Adios amigos!



P.S. Mama and Di, if both of you are reading right now, I really hope that you can go and see me in April. I miss all of you! Take care always!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrea!
    I just wanted to let you know that reading your blog and seeing your pictures have inspired me to really wanna study abroad. Especially to Spain!
    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete